Rio Tino Alcan – Kitimat Modernization Project
IDL was one of the first contractors on the RTA Modernization Project and one of the last to leave after final start-up. Work spanned over 5 years with peak manpower over 250 persons. Work completed including the following:
Underground Utilities Corridor
- Over 3km of underground utilities throughout the greenfield and brownfield site to accommodate the new plant – power, fibre, gas, fire water, process water, potable water
- Dewatering of the complete site and piped to on-site treatment centre
General Civil Grading and Drainage
- Site grading work with sub excavation for building foundations and backfill, storm water and sanitary sewer collection piping, process water lines, electrical duct banks and final grading and paving.
- Supply and install all materials for mechanical utility tie-ins to new facilities and existing to the mains (storm, sewer, water, gas, power and communications)
Design-Build of Non Process Buildings, Cafeteria/Change House
- Design-Build of 5 Buildings: Reduction Offices, Anode Baking Furnace Office and Control Room, Carbon Area Offices and Maintenance Shop, Cast House Office and Maintenance Ship and Cafeteria and Change House
- Total gross floor area of 66,000ft2
Cladding, Roofing and Siding
- Installation of 160,000ft2 of owner supplied cladding on Fresh Alumina Handling and Storage, Coke Handling Storage, Green Anode Paste Plant, Bath Treatment and Carbon Recycling Buildings. Work is comprised of roof cladding (single layer insulated and un-insulated) and installation of all wall louvers. Cladding to be installed at heights of up to 185 feet.
Tower 375 Relocation – Civil and Foundation Works
- Stripping of soils, gravel road, installation of micro-piles and concrete foundations for power line transmission towers requiring relocation to accommodate new heavy haul road for upcoming LNG Project.
RTA – Punch List
- Punch list clean up, commissioning and plant optimization works. Works completed with composite task force crews of millwrights, mechanical, piping, civil fabrication, painting, ironwork, electrical services and other work under a master services agreement (MSA). Lead into long-term maintenance contract.
Rio Tino Alcan (RTA)